Friday, June 17, 2011

I'll tell the world, I'll tell everyone I know, that I have found a Savior and He is sweet I know.

God is good!

I'm writing tonight from the Villa Marina, the hotel here in Ensenada. Yesterday I finished my week in El Zorrillo with a group from North Alabama. They brought a group of about 16 to visit and spent the week doing house visits and a medical clinic as well as a VBS at night. It was a special week for me because I got to spend it in El Zorrillo, where I lived last summer. I have missed the people there so much so I really enjoyed getting to spend time with them again. I can't explain how great it feels to walk into a church and have so many people just yelling your name for you to come see them. Knowing that they remember who I am just means so much to me. One lady told me that the other day her son said, "Mom, Siobhan hasn't been here in like a month, isn't it time for her to come back?" It makes me so hapy to know they are thinking of me even when I can't be with them.

I spent most of the week translating in the medical clinic. We saw just under 150 people in 3 days so we were pretty busy. I really enjoyed getting to do my part to help make people feel better. Most of the stuff was just body pain and cold/sinuses but we had some more serious stuff as well. It was hard to translate some of the conversations because it meant telling people bad news about their health. I really just had to rely on God to give me the courage and wisdom to say the right things. 

I also translated some house visits. I loooooove house visits. There is something that is just so special about being in someone's home with them, really gives you the feeling of being a family. We visited a lot of people that had fallen away from the church. One of them was a girl my age, who had a small baby. I translated all that the group wanted to say to her and then I talked to her some. I told her that for me, being a Christian is a decision that I have to make everyday. True, I made the decision once to be baptized, but that isn't all that being a Christian is. Everyday I have to decide that I want to live for Christ that day and I want to be His light. Kate has a devo book that we read from and last week it had one about being still. It talked about how often times we are so obsessed with making plans and getting things done that we don't just be still and let God be God. If we let him, God will give us the strength for that day. Too often I get stressed out about the future, what it will look like and how I will do certain things, instead I need to, day by day, make the decision to let God rule my life and trust him to give me the strength that I need to get through today. 



All in all, it was a great week in El Zorrillo. Then we got back to Ensenada and I found out that Pilar had gotten an email from a guy that lives here in Ensenada. His dad is a pastor here and he found my passport. He also found my Baja Missions songbook. He looked up the Baja Missions website, found email addresses, and sent emails saying that he had found my stuff. So when I got back to the City of Children, Pilar got his phone number and called him and arranged for us to meet. He came and met a group of us last night and he had my passport, my Bible, the songbook, my photo album, my journal, and a book I was reading. Most of that isn't of financial value, but it meant a lot for me to get them back. It also meant so much knowing that someone had taken the time to find it, look up the website, send emails, and then come met me to bring it. It was a great end to the week.

Today we got up and ran some errands. Then we went to the City to wait for the group. I won't be going with them because I am staying at the City this week since a group from my church is coming. They are going to be going back down to San Vicente. We went shopping this afternoon and then went to dinner with them. They are a great group, be praying for safety and success for their trip this week. 

Tomorrow is going to be a greeeeeeeeeat day! I will get to see the people coming from my group when they get to the City in the afternoon and then spend the week there with them. I am so excited to see everyone. I love working for Baja but the City of Children has a special place in my heart and I am so glad to have the opportunity to be there this week. Pray for the group as they travel tomorrow and spend the week loving on some very special kids. 

I think thats about it for tonight. I'm drained from a busy week and a busy day off as well. I absolutely love what I am doing and am excited for the rest of the summer. I will check back in with you guys Friday. I hope everyone has a safe and blessed week. Do something nice for someone else today :)

In His Service & For His Glory

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

So cool about your stuff! God is good! Proud of you and praying for you!

-Elizabeth

Michelle said...

I love what you are doing for the Lord and the people of the Baja. Those people not only love you but they need you. If you see Alicia please give her a huge hug and kiss for me. She wrote me the most amazing letter. Touched my heart and life....forever. So glad to hear about finding your things. "he's sweet I know"
Michelle

Mike said...

I love hearing what you have to say because it is so clear that you are letting God shape your heart. I sure hope you can join our Group in Zorrillo beginning July 11th.
In Him,
Mike Dobbs